............ Have a nice day............

Thursday 30 May 2013

Disable CPU Core Parking For Dual And Quad Processors


Did you know that the cores in your processor may not be used and therefore you can disable cpu core parking? Sounds crazy but the CPU cores are parked and not being utilized.
I bought a new hp laptop that has seven cores and I wanted to know if the operating system was actually using all of these cores. To my surprise there was only 3 of the cores being used. See the screenshot below. Every second core is parked.
parked cpu


How to See if Your CPU is Parked?

  1. Press ctrl + alt + del on the keyboard to open the task manager.
  2. Go to the Performance tab.
  3. Down the bottom you will see a button for resource monitor, click on that.
  4. Go to the CPU tab as shown above in the screen shot.
  5. Now you can see if any of your CPU’s are parked.

Why is My CPU Cores Parked?

I do not know for sure but it could have something to do with power saving. But do I really want to save power or use all the available resources that all of my CPU’s can give me? Well I personally want to get use out of what I paid for and that means disabling parked CPU cores. I want them all enabled. I cannot be sure if this would speed up mu computer but I was willing to give it a try.

How to Disable CPU Core Parking

Warning: For this step you have to edit the registry and this is not for new computer users. One wrong move in the registry can render your computer unusable.
1. Go to the start menu and type in regedit to bring up the Windows registry.
2. When in the registry click on the edit menu and choose Find from the menu.
3. Search for this registry key 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583
4. You will be taken straight to it. In the right column you will see MinValue and Maxvalue.
5. Double click on them and change the values to 0. (zero)
reg value
6. After you have done that go back to the edit menu and choose find next. That will take you to another entry.
7. Change the MinValue and Maxvalue to 0. I did this a total of two times.
8. Now close the registry and restart your computer.

Disable CPU Core Parking Using Msconfig

1. Go to the start menu and type in msconfig.
2. The system configuration box will open.
3. Click on the Boot tab as shown below. Then click on the Advanced options button.
parked cpu2
4. Tick the box where is says number of processors and then choose how many processors you want to enable in the drop down menu. I chose 7.
parked cpu21
After completing both of these tutorials I rebooted my computer and now all of my CPU cores are working hard. See my new screenshot below. It no longer says that my CPU is parked and it seems that they are all working hard.
all cpu cores are working

Disable CPU Core Parking – Does It Speed up Your Computer?

OK immediately after rebooting my Windows Seven laptop I did notice an amazing speed increase. Some programs opened in a flash and shocked me! So in my opinion if you disable CPU core parking it will speed up your computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment